Bright Star Tutoring Extra Curricular Services
School Advice, Academic Mentor & Guardian Angel
All children need oversight if they are to succeed. Boarding schools have systems in place, but experienced boarding families know that parents or the input of a Mentor is also vital. Bright Star realises that this can be extremely hard for overseas and busy professional families, so an Academic Mentor is an experienced parent or professional educator who fills the gap.
Our Academic Mentors motivate, guide, and advise children in how to build in confidence and help them achieve in school, as well as later in life at GCSE and A Level balancing work pressures with social commitments and hobbies. Academic Mentors work closely with a small number of children and schools. They make sure your child is getting the most from his or her schooling. They check in on your child via telephone, email and Skype as well as making themselves known at the school. This is especially important for the child’s welfare. We create and maintain firm relationships with the Head Master or Mistress alongside core teachers.
As part of our service the Mentor will:
- Devise with the child detailed study objectives and extra- curricular programmes during term time and over the holidays
- Visit the child at school regularly to meet with house masters, tutors, and teachers – monitoring academic progress and giving parents feedback via email, Skype and/or telephone
- Assist parents in interpreting school end of term reports and liaise with the school on behalf of the parents to resolve anything that is of mutual concern
- Resolve any issues or concerns that the parents and/or child may have regarding pastoral care matters
- Help the child make important subject choice decisions at GCSE and A Level
- Assist in making arrangements for holiday revision courses if required
- Organise tuition programmes with Bright Star tutors
- Advise on suitable UK or US university courses and help with the application process
- Many parents benefit from our full school placement service in which we take parents methodically through all the stages of placing their child into a school.
- The service incorporates the following parts:
- Our consultant will learn as much as possible about a child’s background and suitability to particular schools. This consultation may take place in London or at a family home outside London (dependant on time and distance).
Preparation & Ongoing Discussion
- We provide a post-assessment report and in-depth discussion detailing the schools that we suggest are most suited to the child. The nature of this selection process may involve an extensive exchange of ideas between parent, child, and consultant.
- The consultant prepares a shortlist of schools with a detailed report on each suggestion.
- We organise special visits up to five chosen schools, providing one of our knowledgeable consultants to accompany the family on these visits, in order to introduce parents to the school environment and discuss their impressions, worries, likes, dislikes, interests and more.
- We can organise for a child to sit the appropriate school entrance exams. We can arrange private tuition to ensure that the child is properly prepared. We also advise on scholarship exams and bursaries.
- Interviews at prospective schools are important and start from as young as 4+. We can provide practise interviews that come together towards the end of the tutoring and lead up to all exams. We discuss areas of weakness and strength, allowing better understanding of their child and what to practise at home. Schools do not want children to be prepared for interviews, but we can help them feel more confident about this sometimes very daunting process
The Acceptance Process
- A child may be placed on a waiting list for a first choice school – we then do all we can to find movement within that list. We monitor the progress and keep the parent up to date on any movement or news,
- We begin with an academic assessment of the child. We use our finest Specialist Tutor, Katie Dewar to map out a finely tuned and holistic assessment of your child. This is how we can identify the gaps and determine the right educational path. The Bright Star Tutoring Assessment is the result of years of experience. Katie and other senior assessors follow our own new and adapted Success Criteria that is in line with the Examination Board, marking scheme and curriculum to give the most accurate and polished assessment. We always take a very holistic approach and tap into our student’s senses, maximising on their potential and sometimes hidden ability.
- It includes English test, a verbal and non-verbal written Mathematics test, Verbal Reasoning and Non Verbal Reasoning test. We have the experience to be able to gauge a child in relation to the level of similar aged children who attend the most selective and sought after schools.
- After the assessment of a child, we have a strong understanding of his or her ability across a spectrum of numerical and literary capabilities. We are able to build up a finely detailed picture of the child’s strengths and weaknesses. This is particularly helpful for our tutors, who can direct the focus of a child’s learning. Our feedback is followed up with a breakdown of the assessment (Assessment Report) and this is then spoken about in detail with one of our chosen and tailored tutors at Bright Star.
- We also offer interviews, interviewing the child to assess what type of school is most likely to lead to them growing in confidence and that caters to all their individual needs, goals, ambitions, hobbies and interests.
If your child is either based outside the UK or living well outside of London beyond the reach of our experienced Bright Star tutors, Skype tuition can be an excellent way to offer your child tailored one-to-one tuition without the commitment and cost of a live-in tutor and travel expense.
- The tutors use a carefully chosen suite of applications alongside Skype to conduct interactive tutorials to bring their sessions to match as close as possible the quality of home tuition.
- Each lesson is planned and prepared by the tutor to provide a clear structure. The planning involves setting attainment targets and, where appropriate, independent study to be submitted prior to the following session
- Our tutors submit lesson reports and debrief to parents via email . These reports enable parents to monitor their child’s progress.
- After the first tutorial, we call to check that the tutor placement has worked in terms of personality fit and specification
- Once a student can see they are making progress, it is amazing what this can do to their confidence
Bright Star Tutoring Ltd has carefully adapted our top tutoring techniques to suit the growth in the popularity of Skype tuition, ensuring that our students from every location can benefit from our outstanding tutors.